Will this game be available also on Steam
A downloadable game for Windows
Hojiya is a 2D adventure platformer in a coastal fantasy world, where the daylight will be crucial for our plant boy protagonist.
Nogaru and Iara are two brave siblings, will explore forest, jungles, and deserts; by collecting artifacts, challenging cunning creatures, and defeating perilous villains, will find their origins, in this emotive adventure throughout marvelous lands, to uncover the fate of a lost culture.
Solve mysteries, help people to save their islands of the impending doom caused by the evil corporation Xiphos.
A lot of Items to search,collect and trade!
Various creatures and enemies
and meet the people of this world
Director, art & programming: Nicolás Flores
Script: Raimundo Rivera
Music: Andres Carreño (Aka-P)
Advisor: Pablo Gorigoitia Sensei
HOJIYA ALPHA VERSION
Esta versión se puede jugar con teclado o control de xbox one y tiene idioma ingles y español
This version can be played with keyboard or xbox one joystick and has English and Spanish language
Z - Jump
X - Attack/Charge
C - Action
S - Camera /change menu right
A - Inventory change menu left
Enter - Inventory
Esc - Options
|Updated||7 days ago|
|Authors||Nicolás Flores M., OftheEast|
|Genre||Adventure, Action, Platformer, Role Playing|
|Made with||GameMaker: Studio, Aseprite|
|Tags||2D, Exploration, Fantasy, GameMaker, Narrative, Pixel Art, Singleplayer|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Languages||English, Spanish; Latin America|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Xbox controller|
If you play the zip version, please extract the zip to play it
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I loved the game, and was really into it! There was a few small nitpicks I noticed here and there, but overall it was a seriously great game! So nitpicks... Ginger's hair colours are flipped on the world sprite and talking sprite. I managed to give ginger the fish before she said she needed the fish, and afterwards the quest menu said I still needed fish. Quest still worked fine tho. I also noticed a treasure chest in the fishing minigame, but couldn't do that again after collecting the fish. Would've been nice if I could have had a few more attempts at fishing. Healing at save points was very inconsistent, sometimes you got healed, and sometimes you didn't. Not sure if there was some mechanic I was missing, but whenever a save spot didn't heal me, I quit to the menu and loaded the save with full health. When I was looking for the ancient cave the first time, I found it, and wanted to explore ahead before checking out the cave. I then found that the world loops, and I couldn't get back to where I was without traversing the whole world again, just to get to the cave for a quick cutscene. Also, this ancient cave place was super hard, the first few rooms were crazy dense with new and weird enemies, that made this place brutal. I eventually did get through, but on so little health, that I spent fifteen minutes farming rotten (healing fruits, don't remember their names) from the scaredy bat.
Anyways, they are all little nitpicks, I loved the demo, and really want more. That 'thanks for playing' hurt a bit, cos I really wanted to see what was gonna happen...
Nice artwork, and pleasant music. But maybe I'm just too bad at games. Here are some of my personal suggestions, hope you don't mind:
1. After you get key items, you can't move or do anything. I personally think the time for that is a little bit too long. Would be better if he does some gesture or just let the player do whatever he want to.
2. The brown insect enemy that emerges from the wood or ground, it's quite hard to predict their action while sometimes I try to jump over them ending up landing right on them. Some dirt or rubble splashing would be great. And also, even when it hides into the wood or ground, you can still hit it at horizontal level, not sure if that's on purpose.
3. Some spelling errors, like tourist, touristic are all missing an o at the beginning, which end up being turist, turistic. And I forgot where it is exactly, before or after Nogaru collected all the ingredients for the dessert, Iara said "Any excuse to explore the island" or something like that. This one I'm not so sure if it should be "any excuse" or "a good reason". Maybe there are some others but I am not quite a native English speaker so...
4. Before fighting the drill when Iara get trapped in the machine, or any other big fights yet to come in the following story, I think there should be a checkpoint or the bird stand. And also, that the game ends when I die really annoys me, even if that's because I suck at games. Or maybe I can save by taking photos and I just didn't know?
5. Sometimes, you just get damaged and knocked back onto a booby trap and then activate it and get knocked back onto it again, which is kinda annoying as well... Or maybe I should just avoid getting damaged in the first place.
6. I was firstly shocked when I saw Nogaru shooting something from his bare hands. Like, why? What's the background story? Is this a dimension where magic exists? Is it better if he could use a toy gun or something? And Iara, her only things to do in this game seem to be taking photos, and get caught. Well, I think she can at least try to pick up those coins.
7. And this one is really personal. What's an tropical island without hunky muscle guys, or beautiful bodies? Haha. This is just my personal interest. So... you can ignore it.
Well, so far so many I guess, sorry for so many "personal" suggestions. Developing games can be really hard, and I think you are doing a great job.
Thanks for playing the game! , the feedback is always good, we are working on some fixes, among them several elements that you mentioned :D
I have big expectation of this game, but no matter what comes out of this I know it will be great :3
Keep up the good work!
This looks really cute! The art style is so lovely and pleasing to look at. I'll be following this for sure!